228: Ethan Suplee Podcast
In today’s episode of ‘Finding your Summit’ podcast, host Mark Pattison, former NFL Player, Entrepreneur, Philanthropist and Mountaineer who has climbed the Seven Summits, talks with guest Ethan Suplee, an American Film and Television Actor. Ethan talks about his mission in life that relates to his weight and addiction as well as how he fights through all this. He also shares how he got into the Movie / TV business.
- 02:17 – Mark asks Ethan how he got into what he does.
- 03:51 – Ethan shares that he was never very comfortable with himself and he fell in love with the idea of being able to create or exist as other people.
- 06:43 – There were thousands of people who probably could have done the job better than him, says Ethan.
- 08:44 – Mark inquires if losing weight helped Ethan or not in terms of going out and finding more jobs.
- 11:13 – Ethan feels that he is accomplishing something every day and putting his body to use in a way that actually makes him feel better, mentally and physically.
- 12:50 – Mark asks Ethan about his addiction and inquires what it is that allows him to let that slip just a little bit and then it goes the wrong way to where he didn’t want to be.
- 14:25 – Ethan would set an attainable goal for himself—like to be 200 pounds or the goal was to lose weight.
- 16:01 – The guest looks at anything that is beneficial for him and wouldn’t categorize it as addiction.
- 18:09 – Mark questions if Ethan finds it challenging to go on these extended shoots as he is working out and going to the gym.
- 20:21 – What is the genesis of your podcast name American Glutton? asks Mark.
- 22:00 – One of the most shocking things for Ethan was the excess skin when he lost a lot of weight for the first time.
- 24:23 – Mark asks Ethan about his most enjoyable experience while doing films.
- 27:21 – Ethan shares that in the show “American Glutton” they do a lot of Q&A on the show.
Three Key Points
- When we don’t have a goal for the very next moment after we achieve the goal, it’s kind of worthless. As a goal, weight loss can be beneficial, but the actual goal should be having a life without having excess weight.
- Ethan shares that he has to figure out where they’re going to work out, where they’re going to get food and all those things become a little bit more severe for him than they are for his wife or kids who don’t have the same issues that he has.
- If we are massively overweight, like 50 to 100 pounds, plus overweight for a long period of time, our skin grows to this new size and our body cannot metabolize skin—so we are left with massive folds of loose skin that’s not really openly discussed.
“They weren’t actors when I was born, and I never knew them as professional actors.” – Ethan Suplee
“I must have some ability to communicate in other ways that allows me to get these jobs.” – Ethan Suplee
“I want to get as lean as possible and still be as big as possible.” – Ethan Suplee
“I do not consider things addictive that are beneficial.” – Ethan Suplee
“I can overeat steak, I can overeat cheese, I can overeat anything.” – Ethan Suplee
Ethan Suplee: American Glutton