247: Tyler Tisdale Podcast
In today’s episode of ‘Finding your Summit’ podcast, host Mark Pattison, former NFL Player, Entrepreneur, Philanthropist, and Mountaineer who has climbed the Seven Summits, talks with guest Tyler Tisdale, a Singer/Songwriter from Hattiesburg, MS and Ride Records Recording Artist, who shares about his musical journey. Tyler also discusses some of his songs and the inspiration behind them.
- 02:40 – Mark inquires, where did that love for music start?
- 04:19 – Tyler says that he quickly realized he didn’t love football like he thought he did.
- 06:16 – When you come from a small town, it’s not easy to get that scholarship, says Tyler
- 07:18 – Tyler mentions that he went to school for a little while, but ended up getting into the restaurant/bar business, and that’s where he found music again.
- 09:55 – Tyler didn’t have to look at the crowd. He could look down at his guitar the whole time and play, so it didn’t bother him that much.
- 10:04 – Singing wasn’t a natural thing that came to Tyler. It was something that he very much had to work for.
- 13:13 – Mark doesn’t think that they can get to the destination if they’re not thinking about it, visualizing and seeing you up in that particular space.
- 15:55 – Our bills were paid fairly and it was enough to keep us going to the next gig.
- 17:10 – It’s not something that’s going to be quick. Our best stuff is going to come later, after we’ve gone through the grind, mentions Tyler.
- 20:34 – It was five years on the road together playing gigs, so it was hard to walk away from, for sure. But it was for the best for everyone, states Tyler.
- 22:39 – If you’re one of these people who doesn’t have the songwriter aspirations, you’re the performer, and you want to go out and do shows, that’s a great outlet for you.
- 24:16 – Where did the song “She Is The One” come from? Is this from your own experience? enquires Mark.
- 25:20 – Tyler states that he wrote this song about her and it’s resonated with a lot of people.
- 32:28 – Tyler shares about Steve that he’s good at pulling that out of you and making you realize you’re better than you think you are.
- 35:11 – The whole song “High” is about being on tour with your buddies and toeing the line and trying not to take it too far, points out Tyler.
- 36:40 – Tyler reveals his new music album which is coming out on May 30th.
- 38:40 – Mark says Tyler has the drive, determination, and grit with the way he sings and communicates—so many people will relate to him.
Three Key Points
- Tyler shares that his dad played guitar a little bit. While growing up, he always enjoyed sitting around his dad when he was playing songs and stuff. His dad got him a guitar when he was around 13 years old, and he started playing a little bit, then he played in a youth church for a while and it kind of started there.
- When COVID hit, Tyler was about eight months or so to a year removed from being with that band, and had not done much, so it was almost like a blessing in disguise because that was around the time that he met Steve—and they did these writing sessions and Steve was about what he was already doing. He helped him get to that next level with his writing.
- Tyler doesn’t want to give up on music, that’s what keeps him going and gets him through those times. If your career is paying your bills, your family is happy, and everybody’s eating, that’s making it right. You’re doing something you love to do, you’re not miserable, your mental health is good, everybody’s happy, and bills are paid.
“Every rung is harder and more focused and there has to be a bigger commitment to get yourself to the top.” – Mark Pattison
“Another guy that I’d kind of gotten my first taste of songwriting with—I would hang out with him while he was writing music.” –Tyler Tisdale
“I’m just getting to a place where I can sing and have control over it and feel very confident doing it.” – Tyler Tisdale
“People don’t understand that all the hard work that you put into it, as you go, you have to have a vision and you have to start.” – Mark Pattison
“It took those years of playing shows and growing with those guys, to like, I have the stuff to write about now.” – Tyler Tisdale
“The whole process of becoming an artist is it’s finding yourself.” – Tyler Tisdale
“These songs, especially on this record, are the best songs I’ve written up until this point.” – Tyler Tisdale
“I know that for one band to succeed, the other has to fail, essentially.” – Tyler Tisdale
“Change can be good, but the transition can be hard.” – Mark Pattison
“I don’t feel like those shows preparing for what comes after.” – Tyler Tisdale
“The best are the ones that you didn’t even mean to write, it just fell out. I wrote that song in an hour.” – Tyler Tisdale
“I do most of my writing alone by myself.” – Tyler Tisdale