251: John Foley Podcast
In today’s episode of the ‘Finding your Summit’ podcast, host Mark Pattison, former NFL Player, Entrepreneur, Philanthropist, and Mountaineer who has climbed the Seven Summits, and Emmy Best Picture Award Winner talks with guest John Foley, Keynote Speaker to over 1500 Organizations Worldwide, Blue Angel Lead Solo Pilot, High-Performance Expert, Bestselling Author, and Gratitude Guru. John shares about mindset on how to go about life, especially when negative things are across. Also, he talks about those days when he was a pilot, had to be so precise, and had everybody as a team work together to create and accomplish great things.
- 03:45 – Mark inquires of John—when he goes in, what’s his core message and how does he get there?
- 05:00 –There are a lot of negative and terrible things that are going on in the world. The way John approached that is that he is aware of them, but doesn’t focus on the negative.
- 07:32 – John highlights: How we handle our personal relationships, that’s in our control. How we handle our anger—do we get angry at people?—that’s in our control. And all that stuff will spiral up to where we perceive people killing each other, and so we need to approach it both ways.
- 09:12 – John has been focusing more on this mental agility and this mental focus because he finds that it’s the differentiator.
- 11:35 – Mark asks John about when he first got into flying with the Blue Angels—what was the inspiration like, to go down that path?
- 13:00 – John states that it wasn’t an intellectual feeling. It was a heartfelt feeling that said he is going to do that someday.
- 15:37 – When we’re so focused on executing what we’re supposed to do, and trust our teammates to execute on what they’re supposed to do, then we got something special, says John.
- 17:30 – John trains his brain to wake up happy by using a gratitude practice.
- 19:18 – John shares the technique that he does every single morning and we all can knock it out in four minutes.
- 21:00 – There are choices that anybody can make from negative to neutral to positive.
- 23:08 – There’s no reason to worry, and the technique for that is to be in the present moment, mentions John.
- 23:41 – John mentions his book name ‘Fearless Success’. It’s about beyond high performance—we can get it from anywhere.
- 25:33 – Mark asks John about the basic principle behind this book—if it’s about stepping into the fear, and much more than that.
- 28:52 – Mark had so many people that were projecting their own fear on him.
- 30:00 – John says that anyone who’s trying to do anything authentic—be yourself and bring to the table what you are most gifted at. He calls it your unique value proposition.
- 32:04 – If anybody’s in town here in Sun Valley at the Opera House on the 16th of June at 6pm, it’s going to be magical. John’s going to participate in that. He’s going to be up there, teaching us all about attitude, gratitude, and paying it forward.
Three Key Points
- John points out that for anybody who is trying to accomplish something, there are processes, procedures, and training, but the differentiator is what perspective we bring to the situation.
- John shares the high-performance framework where there are four points that he takes people through. It starts with not just vision, but he talks about beliefs. It matters what our beliefs are, and then what’s limiting us and what’s liberating us. Limiting belief, 99% of the time, is fear-based. There’s something that’s holding us back and it’s usually the fear. So, he tries to acknowledged that, but moves into a liberating belief, which is just opportunity—where’s the opportunity—and so that’s where it starts.
- When we want to accomplish something, there are sometimes external forces that push us down. But we’ve got to be clear on our mission, our vision, and where we want to go to accomplish big things.
“Gladiator mindset is the combination of operational excellence with appreciation, gratitude.” – John Foley
“Perspective matters in a huge way.” – Mark Pattison
“There are negative external forces that are coming at us. It’s hard to see your way out of it, but there’s beauty in everything.” – Mark Pattison
“You and I are like-minded in terms of being very positive people.” – Mark Pattison
“I believe the world is coming from us, not at us.” – John Foley
“You also have to surround yourself with positive people and positive forces that are going to lift you up.” – Mark Pattison
“You’re not focused on crashing. You’re focused on something else.” – Mark Pattison
“It has to do with mindset and visualization and getting your mind calm and what you’re going to accomplish for the day and being grateful.” – Mark Pattison
“I’m constantly working on gratitude. So that’s my practice.” – John Foley
“Gratitude is the center point of high performance.” – John Foley
“When things are struggling, that’s the time the gratitude is even more important.” – John Foley
“I love the quote that 99% of things I worried about never happened anyhow.” – John Foley
“Positive influences can be something that’s going to inspire you, and then you need to block out the noise.” – Mark Pattison
“When you can connect your abilities with that purpose, that’s when the magic happens.” – John Foley
John Foley: Website