208: Journey to Adventure with Tom French
In this episode of ‘Finding your Summit’ podcast host Mark Pattison, former NFL player, entrepreneur, philanthropist, mountaineer & S.I. exec talks with guest host Tom French, mountaineer talks about his adventure experience on Mt Everest. These episodes are all about people overcoming adversity and finding their way.
- 01.23 – Mark and Tom, talks about their successful outing climbing journey, none of them know each other but by the end they became best friends.
- 02.56 – Tom shares his journey of how he got into climbing.
- 06.17 As per Mark, they need to prepare themselves for mountain climbing.
- 08.47 – Mark states “you may not always know the outcome and x doesn’t always equal y, but if you do X, you’re going to put yourself in the best position to achieve Y”.
- 10.48 – Tom talks about how do they make their own luck?
- 12.35 – Mark recalls previous week’s conversation with guest (Kevin) on being what’s next and Kevin replied “one game at a time”.
- 15.25 – As per Tom its okay to reset the portfolio on a yearly basis.
- 17.56 – Tom states he has lived two things in the Everest base camp; first, trekking in the Sherpa culture & Nepal as a country & second, the international climbing community.
- 19.09 – They had to do all by themselves, they had to fix the ropes, they had to find the root, and they did the whole thing themselves.
- 21.26 – Mark asks Tom about what happens before they land in this little place called Luca and Tom explained everything chronologically.
- 23.16 – Mark asks Tom about his experience with Alpine Ascents group.
- 25.06 – According to Tom, we all do get differences in group but what all matters is vibe, respect and how it’s all going to work as a team matter.
- 27.28 – Mark says in 2020 when they were revamping for events and then COVID happened. So, he turned it into an opportunity and reinvented workout schedule.
- 29.26 – They both talk about how COVID hit many people but in their case, it turned out to be a blessing, and some great things came out of it.
Three Key Points
- It requires years of hard work and commitment to get it in our bodies and our minds.
- Most successful people do certain things in certain way. They have that discipline & the commitment towards that goal. They put themselves in the best position of success to get there.
- We must figure out who we’re with, and what our groups are like, and we have to assume it’s going to be pretty good with group of like-minded people.
“But still, that says zest for the life of getting after things not being afraid to go after it.” – Mark Pattison
“You don’t just wake up and walk out the door and say hey I’m gonna go climb this mountain.” – Mark Pattison
“I think you make your own luck and climbing doesn’t mean you get 100% of the outcome you want, you don’t control everything.” – Tom France
“I use this thing quite often success leaves clues.” – Mark Pattison
“The phrase, you know, it’s as much the journey as it is the destination and I think so much of that is true and all these things we’re doing here.” – Tom France