The Everest Itinerary
April 1, 2021
All the team members are now en route to Kathmandu to stay at the Yak & Yeti hotel. I’m told it’s a pretty sweet set up. I wanted everyone to have a better understanding of our day to day schedule so you can follow the journey.
Essentially, we will be in Katmandu for the first 5 days going through protocol and then starting on our 40 mile trek to base camp at 17,500’ via multiple tea huts in small villages. Attached is the itinerary we will all follow understanding there will be flexibility based on weather and circumstances.
Below is the route map we will be taking up the mountain once we get to base camp.
- Apr 02: Arrive in Kathmandu. We will pick you up at the airport and take you to the Hotel Yak & Yeti, historically the ‘climbers hotel’ where many expeditions have stayed over the years. We enjoy a welcome dinner with the team.
- Apr 03-06: Quarantine in Kathmandu. On the fifth day of the quarantine, we will take our COVID- 19 PCR tests. Upon a negative test result, we will be able to proceed with the expedition and will make our preparations to fly to Lukla the next day.
Trek and Climb
- Apr 07: Fly to Lukla and begin the trek to base camp (stay in Phakding)
- Apr 08: Trek to Namche
- Apr 09-10: Rest in Namche, visit Everest viewpoint, etc.
- Apr 11: Trek to Debuche
- Apr 12: Trek to Pheriche
- Apr 13: Active rest in Pheriche
- Apr 14: Trek to Lobuche
- Apr 15: Trek to Gorak Shep
- Apr 16: Trek to Everest base camp
- Apr 17-23: Acclimatize and review mountaineering technique (ladder practice, fixed lines, etc.) in base camp, Puja ceremony
- Apr 24: Climb to Camp 1
- Apr 25: Rest in Camp 1
- Apr 26: Climb to Camp 2
- Apr 27: Rest in Camp 2
- Apr 28: Descend to base camp
- Apr 29-May 03: Rest in base camp
- May 04: Climb to Camp 2
- May 05: Rest in Camp 2
- May 06: Rest in Camp 2 (hike up west shoulder)
- May 07: Touch Camp 3, sleep in Camp 2
- May 08: Descend to base camp
- May 09-13: Descend and rest in Debuche or Namche, evaluate weather conditions for summit rotation
- May 14: Begin summit push. Climb to Camp 2
- May 15: Rest in Camp 2
- May 16: Climb to Camp 3 (use O2)
- May 17: Climb to Camp 4 (use O2)
- May 18: Rest in Camp 4 (use O2)
- May 19: Climb to Summit! (use O2) and return to Camp 4
- May 20: Descend to Camp 2 / Lhotse climbers will make their summit attempt and then descend to Camp 2
- May 21: Descend to base camp
- May 22-24: Trek to Lukla
- May 25: Fly from Lukla to Kathmandu
- May 26: Depart for home
- Extra days in case of bad weather, etc. (contingency)